The athlete’s foot is a common fungal infection on the foot that creates patches and scales in the affected area leading to ugly-looking feet. Wearing airtight shoes may be one of the reasons behind this infection, as fungus loves dark and suffocating corners.
Athlete’s foot cause redness, itching, flaking, and scaling on the soles of the feet and between the toes. However, the main reason behind its transmission is not yet clear. It is believed to spread due to direct contact with the infected area.
Foot fungus frequents public showers and locker rooms, indoor swimming pools, and health clubs, which is very contagious. Contact with shoes or socks containing the fungus, wet floors, or exercise equipment usually leads to getting infected
Treatments for Athlete’s Foot
1. Eliminate the Moisture
Fungal infections occur more quickly in a dark and moist place; you should keep your feet dry to avoid athlete’s foot. Toenails left long might retain moisture and provide a haven for the fungus. You can sprinkle some baking soda inside your shoes to absorb moisture.
- Function; drying, eliminate bad odor and sanitize shoes! Protecting your shoes from humidity! Your feet have never felt this comfortable before !
- High quality cable: can withstand 20KG strength in pulling to prevent disconnection during use!
- Heat resistant tough surface: smooth finishing touch, resistant to high temperatures and compressed to make sure the cabinet is not easily breakable!
- 360 degree all rounded heat! Vertical and horizontal air-holes in cabinet to ensure an even distribution of heat!
- PTC heat generator, long lasting high temperature! Precise temperature control, to prevent over heating !
Eliminate foul odor and sanitize your shoes using a shoe drier. This is a portable device used to remove any moisture in your shoes. You can easily adjust the temperature on the settings. Your shoes will never be dumb and smelly.
2. Keep The Area Between the Toes Clean & Dry
The area between your toes rarely has some gap. They remain in a position that leads to sweat and moisture developing between them automatically.
Personal hygiene and cleanliness are essential to avoiding athlete’s foot. Wash your feet with care and also clean the space between the toes. Some air rarely passes from the gaps of toes. Make sure that area is clean and infection-free.
3. Use Apple Cider Vinegar
You can soak your feet in warm water with a few drops of apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar has its name in all the home remedies for athlete’s feet and treating different diseases. And it has a considerable capability to treat athlete’s feet as well.
- Certified Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized and 5% acidity, and contains the amazing Mother of Vinegar.
- Apple Cider Vinegar is organically grown, processed and bottled in accordance with the California Organic Foods Act of 1990 and is also Kosher Certified.
- Its a wholesome way to add delicious, light flavor to most foods. GLUTEN FREE. NON-GMO CERTIFIED.
You can also rub your feet or wipe them down with a cloth soaked in this solution after you shower; make sure you get them completely dry afterward. You can also wipe down the insides of shoes and sandals to help prevent the fungus from clinging there.
4. Use Disinfectant Soap
Rather than choosing a beauty soap to wash your feet and hands, use a bar of soap with disinfectant properties to kill if a minor infection occurs. It will kill the fungal infection even before experiencing the initial symptoms.
- ★ Made in the USA: Now in a larger 12 ounce bottle, Remedy Soap Body Wash is a powerful odor eliminator that helps with acne as well as other skin irritations including athlete's foot, candida, ringworm, jock itch, foot odor, and toenail issues
- ★ Natural and Organic Ingredients - Our men’s and women’s shower gel is made from premium botanical tea tree oil, eucalyptus oil, and peppermint oil, which are well known for naturally helping skin irritations. We added jojoba oil, coconut oil, and olive oil to moisturize, refresh and deodorize. No parabens, preservatives, petroleum, sulfate, silicone, synthetic fragrances or dyes you’ll find in other gels, lotions, creams and ointments.
- ★ Strong Enough for the Gym, Gentle Enough for Every Day: The perfect men’s and women’s shower gel for your gym bag. It smells great, like a tea tree shower gel with peppermint should, and is balanced for all skin types. Our tea tree shower gel with peppermint smells great, is balanced for all skin types, and gives you a fresh tingling sensation.
- ★ Soothes Dry, Itchy, Cracked, Flaky Skin: Contains Skin Enriching Omega 3,6,7,& 9, Vitamin E & C, Aloe Vera, Tea Tree Oil, Eucalyptus Oil and other essential oils which Helps Soothe, Foot and Body, Skin Irritations on your Face, Hands, Heels, Toe Nails, Elbow, Back, Chest, and Butt. Men and women with acne and eczema use our moisturizing body wash for cleaner feeling skin.
- ★ TruRemedy 100% Guarantee: We Stand By all Our Products – Remedy Bar Soap, Remedy Soap for Men and Women Shower Gel, Remedy Foot Wash and Body Soap, Remedy Balm, Remedy Bruise Cream, Foot & Shoe Deodorizer, and Tea Tree Oil Foot Soak with Epsom Salt. If you have any issues with our organic body wash reach out to us and we will do our best to make it right.
One of your fridge’s most incredible fungus-fighting foods is yogurt containing live acidophilus. The flavor is essential if the yogurt contains active bacteria called Acidophilus. This helps control vaginal and oral yeast, but it may also give other fungi a good fight.
Yogurt on bowl
6. Organic Neem Oil
Neem is a tree with many medicinal properties. Adding neem oil to the water you bathe saves you from skin infections.
- ORGANIC NEEM OIL FOR HAIR GROWTH- Pure Neem Oil has a repugnant and garlicky scent (it smells really bad). It also solidifies in cold weather and will be chunky & pastry. This is normal. It will turn into oil at room temperature. Kate Blanc’s Organic Neem Oil is certified organic by USDA and is guaranteed to be authentic, pure, natural, and hexane free. 100% Guaranteed Authentic or FULL REFUND. Our USDA Organic Certificate is shown on the product images.
- NEEM OIL FOR PLANTS SPRAY INDOOR: Neem oil can help your houseplants and indoor plants be healthy and green in the garden. Organic neem oil can be added to your dog shampoo for fur treatment and benefit your pet's coat and skin.
- NEEM OIL FOR SKIN: Neem Oil helps clear blemishes and prevent future breakouts. This helps restore moisture & promote soft, supple skin. It can also help calm temporary redness and itchiness due to dryness, eczema, dandruff & more.
- NEEM OIL CONCENTRATE: Neem Oil's unique underlying property is rich in antioxidants and essential fatty acids and Vitamin E. It is the perfect nourishment for your skin, hair, and nail. Daily usage can help diminish the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines, and aging. Neem oil can be used for dog fur.
- 100% GUARANTEE AND ONE YEAR WARRANTY - We aim to offer the highest quality and most authentic products. We guarantee your satisfaction. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, please return it for a FULL REFUND within 365 days. Add to Cart.
Boil some water to the desired temperature (lukewarm) and add 2-5 drops of Organic Neem Oil. Dip your feet in the solution for 15 minutes. After that, clean them using a dry towel and make sure they are dry.
7. Soak Your Feet In Betadine
If the infection has caused redness and cracks between the toes, the fungal infection may be followed by a bacterial infection. Add two caps of betadine to the water and soak your feet in the water for at least 20 minutes. This will help the wounds heal faster and will also close the doors to bacterial infection.
8. Use Garlic
If your toenail appears to have fungus, use this recipe: Crush 1 clove of garlic and mix it with a few drops of olive oil to make a paste. Please apply to the nail, leave on for 15 to 30 minutes, and then rub it off in warm, soapy water.
Repeat the same daily, followed by drying your feet thoroughly. You should continue this treatment for several weeks after the fungus has disappeared to ward off another fungal visit.
peeled garlic cloves
9. Change your Socks
Socks made of natural fibers such as cotton and wool help absorb sweat and keep the feet dry. However, some research suggests acrylic socks do an even better job of keeping feet dry by wicking moisture away from the feet. Try a pair of both, and see which one keeps your feet drier and more comfortable. So what kind do you choose?
- Moisture Wicking Fibers Keep Feet Dry with Ventilation Channels Engineered for Air Circulation and Moisture Control
- Arch Compression Provides Added Support and Stability
- Reciprocated Heel and Toe for Superior Fit and Comfort
- Full Cushion Comfort with Reinforced Heel and Toe Provides Added Durability
- Content May Vary by Color
10. Salted Water
The best home remedy for athlete’s foot is to soak your infected foot in warm salt water, using one teaspoon of salt for each cup of water for 10 minutes.
- One 3-pound resealable bag of epsom salt crystals
- Relaxing soaking aid for bath or soaking tub
- If you like Dr Teal's Epsom Salt Soaking Solution, we invite you to try Solimo Epsom Salt Crystals
- Satisfaction Guarantee: We're proud of our products. If you aren't satisfied, we'll refund you for any reason within a year of purchase. 1-877-485-0391
- An Amazon brand
Dry your foot thoroughly using a soft towel, and then fill some baking soda between your toes. This will seal the way of infection from spreading.
11. Wear Treated Thongs
To minimize your exposure to fungus, and cure it, wear shower shoes or thongs that are already treated. If already treated, the chances of getting infected reduce. Public places like your gym’s locker room are the most common places you will find this infectious fungus.
12. Tea Tree Oil
Add a few drops of organic tea tree oil to a foot bath and soak your feet for 10 minutes. After soaking and carefully drying the feet, massage a few drops of the oil directly into the affected area.
- 100% PURE & NATURAL TEA TREE OIL - Handcraft Blends oils are exactly that! Many oils being sold make that claim but are in fact made of natural isolates and mixtures. Each essential oil is tested by an independent lab which is why every bottle comes with a Quality Guaranty.
- PREMIUM THERAPEUTIC GRADE & PREMIUM QUALITY – All Handcraft Blends Essential Oils are tested by an independent lab to test the efficacy of each oil. Each oil is tested for its constituents as well as to have no fillers, additives and to be undiluted.
- HIGH QUALITY GLASS BOTTLE AND DROPPER – Our essential oil comes in an amber glass bottle to keep out UV rays and protect the oil against sunlight. We also provide a glass dropper, so you get the exact amount of oil without any waste.
- TEA TREE OIL BLENDS WELL WITH - Bergamot, Cedarwood, Clove, Clary Sage, Lemon, Patchouli, Rosemary, and Sandalwood.
- BOTTLED IN THE USA – Our oils are sourced from the best regions all over the world to bring you the best and finest.
- 100% Pure and Natural: Majestic Pure Essential Oils are 100% pure and natural, therapeutic grade oils. This means they are free from toxins, additives, or any nasty chemicals. Completely unfiltered and undiluted for the best result.
- Physical & Mental Clarity: In order to add some balance into your life and help gain some mental clarity, a few drops of this Tea tree oil will help bring some personal power back into your grips. Its purifying properties aid to create a protective layer that will keep the negativity away
- Go-to Pick for Aromatherapy : Majestic Pure Tea Tree Essential Oil has a very pleasant floral, medicinal and warm smell and Tea Tree is known for its soothing and relaxing properties, a prerequisite for aromatherapy
- Diverse Uses: A blend of this Tea tree oil with a carrier oil can be used by you for some at-home DIY recipes for your skin care and hair care. From hair masks, soaps, to massage oils, you can explore all you want
- Amber Glass Bottle & Premium Glass Dropper: Majestic Pure essential oils are packaged in Amber glass bottles to keep the harmful UV rays out. With it, comes our high quality convenient glass dropper which is easy to use and gives you the exact amount of oil you require
Tea tree oil has properties that will help destroy the fungus in seriously infected areas and prevent it from scattering to unaffected areas.
13. Use Sprays
Another solution that is usually overlooked is the use of sprays. These sprays are 100% effective, just like other solutions. Don’t use sprays or even creams if you have wounds on your feet.
- (2-Pack) Ting Antifungal Spray Powder for Athlete's Foot, Jock Itch, Ringworm, Max Strength 4.5-Ounces
- Effectively relieves itching, scaling, burning, and discomfort that can accompany an athlete's foot and jock itch.
- Daily use helps prevents the re-infection of an athlete's foot.
- Available in a convenient and tamper-resistant aerosol can.
- Contains 2% Miconazole Nitrate.
14. Change your socks
Do you have feet that tend to sweat all the time? Take an extra pair with you to work and change them during your lunch break. Then it would help if you changed your socks 2-3 times a day.
15. Off with the old dead skin
Removing the dead skin from your feet is an integral part of athlete’s foot home remedy treatment. Dead skin helps safeguard the living fungi. So, use a small brush, or even a toothbrush if that’s all you have, and thoroughly scrub your feet. Spend some time in between your toes also.
16. Use Antifungal Medicated Soap
- TOUGH ON FUNGUS | Defense Antifungal Medicated Bar Soap cleans and treats common locker-room fungal infections such as athlete's foot, jock itch, and ringworm.
- ANTIFUNGAL STRENGTH | Defense Medicated Antifungal Bar with tolnaftate is proven in its effectiveness against athlete's foot fungus.
- POWERFUL MEDICINE | The concentrated tolnaftate formula in Defense Medicated Soap goes right to the infected area and prevents new infections from taking hold on your skin.
- USE WITH ORIGINAL SOAP | It is recommended to use the Medicated Soap bar on affected areas in addition to using Defense Original Bar Soap for daily use
- KEEPS YOU IN THE GAME | Scaly, cracked feet and skin problems are unsightly and can even keep you out of the competitor's ring. Stay clean and healthy by washing with Defense Antifungal Medicated Bar Soap.
Medicated bar soaps protect your feet from getting infected with fungi. The most common ingredients in these soaps include tea tree oil, charcoal, and eucalyptus.
You should be very particular about the type of shoes you are wearing if you are more susceptible to this kind of infection. The shoes you choose should have some air passage.
Please make sure you change your shoes every other day to give them time to dry up completely. Keep them in sunlight if possible every day, and if not, then alter between two pairs every day to prevent fungal infection.