The knees suffer a lot of wear and tear due to constant movement. There is no specific age for knee pain it may occur in anyone, be it children, adults, or older people. In fact, women are more prone to knee pain than men because of their anatomical structure and menstruation.
It’s important to detect the exact location of the pain to treat it better. It may originate from any of the bony structures comprising;
- Knee Joints – Femur, tibia, and fibula
- Knee cap – Patella
- Ligaments and cartilages – Meniscus
Knee pain can be cured once the exact location of the pain and the cause are diagnosed. It can be diffused by spot treatments or diffusion. It should be treated during the early stages itself when the pain is mild. It may range from minor aches to severe and disabling pain.
Symptoms of Knee Pain
- Stiffness in the knee
- Numbness in the affected area
- Difficulty in walking
- Unable to stand for long hours
- Difficulty in climbing stairs
Causes of Knee Pain
- Weakened bone structure
- Wear and tear due to ageing
- Ligament injuries
- Meniscus injuries
- Knee joint dislocation
- Stiffness in joints due to arthritis
- Other chronic ailments
Home Remedies for Knee Pain
Here are a few simple home remedies for knee pain to help you alleviate the pain and give you a little peace of mind. Regular use of these home remedies for knee pain will help you cure your knee pain forever.
1. Cold Compression
Cold compress is very useful in reducing body pain and inflammation. The cold constricts the blood vessels thereby restricting the blood flow to the affected area. It is the best immediate home remedy for knee pain.
- COLDEST KNEE ICE PACK - Designed to reduce swelling and inflammation of the knee. Specially built for faster recovery, soreness, injuries, sprains
- GEL ICE PACK WRAP FOR KNEES - Gel Ice Pack is flexible and forms around your entire knee. Cold therapy is powerful and efficiently helps with arthritis, patella issues, meniscus injuries, chronic knee pain, sprains, sports injuries, and more.
- FASTER RECOVERY - Hands-free Application of Ice & Compression Therapy. Get back out there faster by reducing the pain from swelling
- FLEXIBLE, REUSABLE, AND MOLDS TO KNEE - for knee sports injuries, knee soreness, sprains, strains, ACL, sprains and strains, arthritis, sports injuries, surgery
- LONG-LASTING ICE PACKS FOR KNEE - Deploys Coldest Webbing Technology. Our custom webbing allows for improved cold transfer to the knee. Stays colder longer for better alleviating pain around muscles, joints, and tendons on your knee. Cold Compression for Injury and Post-Surgery
- Wrap a few ice cubes in a thin towel and place them over the knees for 10-20 minutes.
- Repeat the process 3-4 times a day until the pain subsides.
- A bag of frozen peas can also serve the purpose.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is used in curing a number of ailments due to its alkalizing effects. It acts as a natural pain killer and also eliminates toxins from the body. In knee pain, ACV can be beneficial because it helps in dissolving the mineral build-up within the joints. It also restores the lubrication in the joints and promotes mobility.
- BRAGG APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: The Bragg ACV Vinegar is made from organically grown apples, and offers various health benefits. To easily incorporate ACV into your diet, you can take a daily 2 oz shot, pour it over your salad, drink in a morning elixir with water and lemon, or add it to your hot tea.
- ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: The Bragg ACV is raw, unfiltered, and crafted from organically grown apples. It is USDA certified organic, Non-GMO Verified, and Kosher certified.
- MOTHER OF VINEGAR: The ‘Mother’ consists of strands of proteins, enzymes, and friendly bacteria that give the product its murky appearance. The ‘Mother’ is used for its natural cleansing qualities.
- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR HEALTH BENEFITS: Drinking a daily dose of Bragg Organic ACV offers many health benefits. ACV can help support a healthy immune system, aids in maintaining a healthy weight, delivers prebiotics, and helps you maintain normal glucose levels.
- The Bragg Difference: A diet rich in organic fruits and veggies is essential to vibrant health. Our ingredients always come from the land, not a lab. It’s our vital difference.
- Add two teaspoons of ACV in two cups of water and sip this mixture throughout the day.
- Add two cups of ACV to a hot water tub and soak the knees in it for 30 minutes. This should be done once a day before going to bed preferably.
- Mix equal parts of olive oil and ACV and massage this mixture on the affected knees to alleviate the pain faster.
Ginger consists of anti-inflammatory compounds that reduce the swelling and pain in the knees. It is great for people suffering from arthritis, muscle strain, or injury. Use this in your daily diet as a natural home remedy for knee pain.
ginger for knee pain
- Boil some freshly grated ginger in a cup of water for 10 minutes and then strain it.
- Add a spoon of honey and lemon juice to this mixture and drink it 2-3 times a day to get rid of the swollen knee joints.
- Ginger oil massage is also effective in curing knee pain
Turmeric has a natural compound named curcumin which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also widely used in Indian kitchens to reap the benefits of this miraculous spice.
According to National Centre for Complementary and Alternative Medicines (NCCAM), turmeric slows down the progression of rheumatic arthritis which is one of the major causes of knee pain. It is the best and most effective natural home remedy for knee pain.
- Add one-half spoon of freshly grated ginger and turmeric in a cup of water and boil it for 10 minutes. Drink this twice daily by adding honey.
- Boil one spoon of turmeric in a glass of milk. Add honey and drink this every day.
- Turmeric capsules can be taken every day with a dosage of 250mg to 500mg thrice a day.
5. Lemon Juice
Lemon or in general citric acid has also been found useful in the treatment of arthritis. It works as a solvent for the uric acid crystal which deposits in the knee joints causing pain and inflammation. A natural home remedy for knee pain.
- Cut one or two lemons into small pieces and tie them to a cotton cloth
- Heat half cup of sesame oil and dip the cloth with lemons in the warm oil
- Place the cloth on the affected knee joints for 10-15 minutes
- Repeat this procedure twice a day to get relief from knee pain
- Drinking a glass of lemon juice on empty stomach also helps in getting rid of the pain in the knees.
6. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper has a compound names capsaicin which is acts as a natural pain reliever. It has an analgesic property that provides warmth to the area of application and thus relieves the pain.
- Add two spoons of cayenne pepper to half a cup of warm olive oil and apply this on the affected area twice a day.
- Add half a spoon of cayenne pepper to one cup of apple cider vinegar and apply it to the aching area using a clean washcloth. Leave it for 20 minutes until the inflammation reduces.
- Capsaicin-based gels can also be used directly on the knees to reduce the pain.
Gently massage the knee with essential oil sesame seed oil or medicated Ayurvedic oil. This is a tried and tested method that doctors advise their knee patients.
- SESAME OIL is the most popular oil in Ayurveda that has been used for thousands of years. Rich and robust, this unrefined oil supports numerous systems in the body, and its versatility makes it the perfect oil to support the body from head to toe—including the skin, scalp, hair, ears, lips, gums and teeth, and feet. Its uses are virtually endless!
- ITS ABILITY to easily absorb into the skin and carry its soothing properties deep into the tissues makes it the perfect oil for self-massage, or abhyanga in Sanskrit, a key practice in Ayurveda. Self-massage with Sesame Oil is a luxurious and nurturing practice that helps protect, moisturize, and nourish the body while it grounds the nervous system and relaxes the mind. It is also commonly used for oil pulling and as a face cleansing oil.
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC and unrefined, this golden oil is extracted from the seed using a chemical-free, natural expeller pressed method that retains the oil’s maximum benefits and preserves the unique scent of sesame. However you choose to use it, our Sesame Oil is a wonderful and healthy tool to providing deep self-care.
- BANYAN BOTANICALS is committed to producing the highest quality Ayurvedic products using USDA certified organic herbs that are sustainably sourced and fairly traded. All our products are 3rd party tested to ensure product quality and safety.
- THE BANYAN GUARANTEE: If for any reason you’re not satisfied with one of our products, we will gladly accept returns for a full product refund.
There are different types of self-massaging techniques you can use. Knead your sore joints with your knuckles, hands, or a massage tool to soothe the pain.
8. Pain Relief Creams & Rubs
Rub the cream on the painful knee area for at least 45 seconds. This ensures that the formula penetrates deep into the nerves for instant relief. One of the main recommended ingredients in these creams and rubs is capsaicin. This is one of the main ingredients found in chili pepper.
- Delivers fast Arthritis Pain Relief
- #1 doctor recommended ingredient
- #1 pharmacist recommended ingredient
- odor free
Various research establishments found that capsaicin is effective in the treatment of osteoarthritis and other nerve-related ailments.
- ❤️NEUROPATHIC PAIN RELIEF CREAM - For Everyone Including Diabetics - Individuals With Diabetes. Advanced Neuropathy, Peripheral Neuropathy & Fibromyalgia Pain Relief Cream | All natural way to provide topical vitamins and nutrients with measured doses from our airless dispenser.
- ❤️ODOR-FREE, SCIENCTIFICALLY ESTABLISHED TO WORK - Capsaicin a natural pepper extract, which according to recent studies, confers a beneficial effect for those suffering with neuropathy pain.
- ❤️HIGH DOSES - Of Vitamin B12 and Vitamin E. This advanced formula also includes: Vitamin B1, B5, & B6, Capsaicin, MSM, Cetyl Myristoleate, and Andrographis extract that all work to lessen symptoms and support synapse repair.
- ❤️STRONG & POTENT FORMULA – Fortified with our concentrated blend of Vitamin B6, MSM, Aloe Vera, and Vitamin E. Vita Sciences Nervex Maximum Strength Neuropathy cream helps nourish and support targeted areas of discomfort for long-lasting relief. MOISTURIZERS and ANTIOXIDANTS - allow this powerful cream to easily absorb into the skin.
- ❤️30 APPLICATIOINS OF LOTION - in protected and measured amounts. Calming Support – With consistent application, our cream is designed to provide deep soothing relief for your back, neck, knees, hips, shoulders, elbows, joints, and muscles. Cooling & Strengthening Complex – Each bottle of our premium quality cream is made with natural and safe ingredients to deliver you powerful cooling and intense rejuvenation while providing essential moisturizing benefits to all skin types.
7. R-I-C-E Method
RICE is a popular method to relieve all sorts of injuries, muscle strains, and pains. It is an acronym which stands for,
This is applicable for knee pain also. According to this method, people affected by any of the above-mentioned issues must take ample rest. Ice packs or cold compressions must be used to reduce the pain. Compression bandages must be fastened to the knees securely so that inflammation subsides. Keep the legs at an elevated position in case of injuries and fractures.
Doctors might also suggest certain dietary supplements such as,
- Willow bark
- Ginger extract
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate
The following are the alternative therapies for all problems related to knees and joints,
- Tai Chi
- Exercise and Weight Management
- Heat and Cold Therapy
- Herbal Ointment
Knee pain in older people can also be cured if the above therapies and these natural home remedies for knee pain are followed on a regular basis. Use these home remedies for knee pain to cure your knee pain forever.
You can use any of these remedies to get instant knee pain relief but not all are guaranteed to work. Chronic knee pain requires immediate attention from a doctor. The doctor is most likely to perform a physical examination that can include an X-ray and blood tests.
[su_spoiler title=”Sources” style=”fancy”]
- Knee pain video.
- Osteoarthritis treatment.
- Osteotomy of the knee